ICAEW marked 100 years since the first woman entered membership, Mary Harris Smith, in May 2020.
Mary was not only our first female member, but the world’ first female chartered accountant. Her entry paved the way for women to enter the profession. Hers is a story of true resilience, determination and strength of character – which moves and inspires all who hear it.
This panel discussion will cover:
- Life and achievements of Mary Harris Smith, ICAEW’s first female member
- The ground-breaking women who followed in her footsteps
- The ways ICAEW has marked the centenary, including a historic blue plaque
As recent discussions of social and economic opportunity have taken centre stage in public discourse, join this session to hear about the woman who was pivotal in opening up access to the profession, and the trailblazers who followed her.
- Julia Root-Gutteridge, Centenary campaign manager, ICAEW (Chair)
- Fiona Wilkinson FCA, ICAEW Immediate Past President
- Jane Berney FCA, Manager, Business Law, ICAEW & author of ICAEW’s centenary history book
- Christine Pattison, Member (qualified in 1972)
Back for 2021
Virtually Live returns 15-17 June 2021. ICAEW will be hosting a series on live and on demand sessions providing insight and expertise on the key issues effecting finance professionals.
Fiona will be participating in the panel session celebrating 100 years of women in chartered accountancy.
Jane will be participating in our panel session reflecting on the centenary of women entering chartered accountancy.
Juila will be hosting two panel sessions on the future of boards and on women in chartered accountancy.
Christine will be participating in our panel session reflecting on the centenary of women entering chartered accountancy.
Helen will be participating in our panel session reflecting on the centenary of women entering chartered accountancy.